Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Prison For Pete?



It Appears So

PETE DOHERTY has been arrested on suspicion of assault and robbery.

Doherty remains in custody this morning in London (February 3) after being arrested after an alleged incident at the Rookery Hotel in Clerkenwell. According to press reports, the arrest followed an alleged altercation with documentary maker Max Carlish. Carlish was taken to hospital, where he was treated for a black eye before being released. Carlish has been identified as the person who made a documentary about Doherty, which included scenes of hard drug use. A spokesperson for Scotland Yard said: "Police were called to a hotel in Peters Lane, London EC1, at 6.20pm yesterday following a report of a man being assaulted. "A 25-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and theft. He was taken to a north London police station and remains in custody." It has been reported that a second, unnamed musician was arrested later in the evening on suspician of robbery.

Carlish has told the BBC he doesn't want to press charges. He said: "I'm feeling bloody battered, but I'm bowed and I feel sorry for Pete. My heart goes out to Pete, he has screwed up big time now. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if in three weeks time he's hanging on the end of a rope in a jail cell somewhere. I do not want that to happen, so I'm not going to press charges. "Pete may be thinking 'I can't stand Max now', but I still love Pete and I want the best for him. If that involves me giving him money so he can go into rehabilitation, the money I've earned from the Mirror and the people who are waving cheques in my face, then so be it." According to the London Evening Standard a police doctor examined Doherty after his arrest, who said he had been high on drugs.